Keep ahead of us at tinyurl.com/VC-events!
EVENTS & ACTIVITIES
March For Our Lives – Actions to take after the march!
UPDATE: “A bipartisan group of senators unveiled an agreement on principle for gun safety legislation.” Nothing is done until it’s on Biden’s desk, and even then, a lot of important stuff was left out! Yes, we want them to pass the “Protecting our Kids” Act. But we want more, as well.
What happens AFTER the march is critical – this is where we convince our legislators that we will not forget and we will not let up – where we commit to transforming Saturday’s energy into a sustained campaign of demands that they make substantive changes on gun safety laws.
Our goal – make mass shootings, gun suicides and accidental gun discharges by young children the rare and horrible events they should be and not just another day in America.
Monday, June 13: Help support an all-electric building ordinance for new construction in Ventura!
We need to catch up. There are already 55 cities and counties that have made the switch, including Santa Barbara, and Ojai. (https://www.sierraclub.org/articles/2021/07/californias-cities-lead-way-pollution-free-homes-and-buildings)
The City of Ventura will be hearing an educational presentation about building electrification at their Monday, June 13th city council meeting at 6 PM from Ventura Climate Coalition. This is the City’s first step in seeking information about an all-electric building ordinance for new construction, and we need your support in telling the council to move forward on Agenda Item 4B.
If you can please attend, make public comment, and/or email the council at email@example.com ahead of the meeting! There are virtual and in-person participation options. Here is the meeting agenda: _06132022-2736 (ca.gov)
Here are some talking points for building electrification to help build your comments:
- Fossil fuels, like natural gas found in commercial and residential buildings, are incompatible with the State’s goal of carbon neutrality. Buildings contribute to 24% of California greenhouse gas emissions, and much of that comes from burning natural gas.
- Lowers the average household energy bill by $4,000–$10,000 over 20 years;
- Reduces the cost of single-family home construction by $6,000, and the cost of multifamily apartment building construction by roughly $1,500 per unit;
- Creates roughly 100,000 new jobs in construction, HVAC installation, electrical work, energy efficiency, and load-management services;
- Improves public health by reducing combustion pollution that causes asthma and respiratory diseases; and,
- Makes our communities safer by eliminating the risk of fires and explosions caused by gas leaks, particularly after earthquakes.
- Renters may not have control of the appliances in their home and therefore not have agency over experiencing the health impacts mentioned here today. It is also important to pass a reach code so that all Ventura residents can have the benefits of electrification, particularly those most impacted by climate change and burdened by pollution. There is also momentum in multi-family projects moving to all-electric.
Want more information? Ventura County Climate HUB has a great article: 30 Reasons to Make New Buildings All-Electric. Cities of Fillmore, Santa Paula and Port Hueneme – It’s Time to Join Clean Power Alliance too!
Residents of Fillmore, Santa Paula and Port Hueneme, urge your city councils to vote YES to do a Clean Power Alliance feasibility study towards 100% renewable electricity for all ratepayers.
Tuesday, June 14, 6:30 p.m. 250 Central Ave.: Fillmore residents can attend the in-person city council meeting (https://legistarweb-production.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/attachment/pdf/1418741/FILLMORE_-_STAFF_REPORT_-_CPA.pdf) or send a short email to council members by 4:00 p.m. on Tuesday, June 14. (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Wednesday, June 15, 6:30 p.m. 970 Ventura St., Santa Paula: Santa Paula residents can attend the in-person city council meeting (agenda will post soon) (https://www.spcity.org/523/Public-Meeting-Agendas) or send a short email to council members by 3:00 p.m. on Wednesday, June 15. (email@example.com)
Monday, June 20,6:30 p.m. Email ALL Council Members this week (CouncilWebMail@ci.port-hueneme.ca.us) and attend the next meeting and speak in Open Comment. Saturday – 06/18/2022 – OXNARD – “Juneteenth Freedom Day Celebration (10:00 am – 5:00 pm) Plaza Park, Downtown Oxnard, 500 S. C St.
The Juneteenth Freedom Day Celebration is free to the public and will feature entertainment, local artists, exhibits, food, vendors and health and wellness information.
For sponsorship or vendor information, visit JuneteenthOxnard.org, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (805) 901-3639Saturday – 06/18/2022 – CONEJO – “2nd Annual Juneteenth Celebration in Conejo Valley!” (12:00 pm – 4:00pm PT) Conejo Creek Park
Please join us for this free community event celebrating Juneteenth, the emancipation and freedom of African Americans in America! Live music, food, activities, entertainment and family fun!
Facebook link: https://www.facebook.com/events/602394674812177/Sunday – 06/26/2022 – OXNARD – “Swap Meet Justice Citizenship, Family Resource and Expungement Clinic” (9:00 pm – 3:00pm PT) Oxnard College, 4000 S. Rose Avenue, near the gym.
Please advertise this event to those in your social media who are eligible to get any version of the COVID vaccine (1st, 2nd, or either booster). Disability Rights California is providing funding for a $50 gift card and a voucher for a lunch at the Swap Meet to the first 300 people who get vaccinated at the clinic at our fair, that day. No rain-checks.
This is a PER-PERSON offer, not per family! It is FIRST COME – FIRST SERVED. Youngest age is 12 years old. People do not need to be county residents, or documented. The County asks that people bring a form of documentation that has their name on it, which doesn’t have to be a government issued one, and proof of age.
This amazing giveaway is in addition to our normal free monthly resources available to the community, which are listed on our new website!: swapmeetjustice.org
PHONEBANKS, TEXT BANKS, POSTJOIN THE POSTCARD BRIGADE!!
You Can Make a Difference! Do you want to help Democrats win in the 2022 elections? You can write Get Out The Vote (GOTV) postcards to help get Democratic voters to the polls! Studies have shown that receiving a colorful postcard with a short punchy message is the most effective way to persuade a voter to get to the polls.
One of Indivisible Ventura’s members is working with Postcards to Swing States (PSS) to coordinate GOTV postcarding focused on Senate races in swing states. PSS identifies the campaigns, writes the message, and provides the voter names and addresses. She will provide the cards and, if needed, the stamps.
If you want to participate, please send an email to her at email@example.com. She will add you to her writer roster and email you a description of the campaigns she is currently running. You decide which campaigns you want to join and specify the number of cards you want. If you live locally, you may collect your supplies from her address in Ventura. She can also will snail mail your packet to you.Resist every damn day!
– Debby Millais, Postcard Wrangler
Please DONATE to the cause!
Indivisible Ventura is completely volunteer run and your donation will support the direct costs of organizing in Ventura — things like expenses for Swap Meet Justice, posters, art supplies, stamps, transportation, and more! Although we’ve defeated Trump and taken back the Senate, we have to act urgently to save our democracy and enact other desperately needed reforms. Getting it done depends on all of us. Let’s stand together, indivisible. Indivisible Ventura is one of 6,000 grassroots Indivisible groups across the country. Together, we will win. (https://secure.actblue.com/donate/ven383907253)
The usual caveats…
Keep ahead of us on our calendar scroll here: tinyurl.com/VC-events
• If we screw up a link, our apologies. You can find the original post here: tinyurl.com/VC-events
• We’re putting up information on local protests and actions by others we’re finding from informal sources. These listings are not endorsements nor guarantees as to time/place/type of protest or participant safety. Events can and have already been cancelled without notice.
• Check ahead for future events there as well. We often miss morning event postings.
• If we screw up or miss information about an event, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.