Protect Reproductive RightsReproductive rights are under assault across the nation. Join us to mobilize and defend our reproductive rights in advance of the Supreme Court reconvening on October 4th.
- Click here to register for the Westchester event in White Plains on Oct. 2 @ 1PM.
National Voter Registration DayThis Tuesday, September 28th is National Voter Registration Day. Studies show that most people who aren’t registered to vote were never asked!
- Reach out to your contacts and ask if they are registered – use this tool to help people get started. Helping people register to vote will be key to turning out the vote for local elections this November.
County Executive George Latimer, county legislators, and the county clerk are all running for reelection and many face Trump Republicans in November.
- Sign up to volunteer for George Latimer.
- Community/labor phone banks for County Legislator Ruth Walter are every Thursday @ 5:30PM. Email Jack Connor@ email@example.com for more information about volunteering.
- Click here to sign up for Wednesday night phone banks @ 7:00 PM for County Legislator Damon Maher.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
Sharpen Your Texting SkillsJoin the Democratic National Committee on Monday, September 27th at 8pm for their Text Team Plan to Win launch call for more information about getting trained up to text to win.
- Click here to sign up for the training.
- Click Here to Access the Amazon Wishlist
Westchester residents who suffered property damage from the remnants of Hurricane Ida may be eligible for assistance from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), following President Joe Biden’s Major Disaster Declaration.
Please make sure you are carefully documenting all damage in writing and with photographs, receipts and other documentation.
FEMA has set up Disaster Recovery Centers (DRCs) where people can file claims for assistance in communities which are particularly damaged:
- Yonkers: Grinton I. Will Library, 1500 Central Park Ave, Yonkers, NY 10710
- Mamaroneck: Mamaroneck Village Courthouse, 169 Mount Pleasant Ave, Mamaroneck, NY 10543
Other ways to apply for Federal Assistance:
- Visit www.disasterassistance.gov/ to view the FEMA individual assistance application and required application information,
- To apply by phone, call FEMA toll-free at 1-800-621-FEMA (1-800-621-3362). If you are deaf, hard of hearing, or have a speech disability and use a Text Telephone (TTY), call 800-462-7585.
- Damage must have occurred during the incident period of the declaration and be a direct result of the incident.
- Eligible losses include non-insured damage/loss to primary residence, damage/loss to eligible personal property.
Small businesses recovering from Ida damage may also qualify for disaster loan assistance from the Small Business Administration. For information please visit https://disasterloanassistance.sba.gov/ela/s/ or call 1-800-659-2955 (TTY/TDD: 1-800-877-8339)
Residents who need housing assistance should reach out to the County Department of Social Services. If you have a housing emergency you may call 914-995-2099.
Help Storm Victims
Local organizations helping the most vulnerable storm victims need donations!
- The Community Resource Center’s Emergency Assistance Fund for Flood Relief will help low-income families who need financial support as they recover and rebuild following this natural disaster. CRC’s center has also sustained significant flood damage.
- The Fuller Center for Housing of Greater New York City is on the ground in several towns gutting and rebuilding storm damaged homes for those in need.
Mask Up & Vax UpAcross America, school board meetings are turning hostile as parents opposed to mask mandates and vaccines are causing chaos and threatening school board members, including here in parts of Westchester. Here’s what you can do:
- Click here to fill out a form that send a letter voicing your support of mask mandates. State lawmakers are being bombarded with emails from angry people who oppose masks and vaccines. Make your voice heard!
- To fight disinformation about Critical Race Theory (which isn’t taught in schools), follow the Teach the Truth 914 Facebook page.
Constitutional CrisisPlease take time to read this essay in the Washington Post: Our Constitutional Crisis is Already Here. The essay argues that “the United States is heading into its greatest political and constitutional crisis since the Civil War” because of the “…organized nationwide campaign to ensure that Trump and his supporters will have the control over state and local election officials that they lacked in 2020.”
- State and local elections matter! Staying active and engaged is key to preserving our democracy.
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.