Yep, yesterday’s impeachment trial and all the associated stories from it makes us feel like the jury is half-filled with the accused’s close family members, several of which should be under investigation themselves. This is a good read on it.
Keep working on your relatives in red states. Email messages can be left 24/7.
We’ve been working on the postcards project for Washington DC statehood. Here’s the update…
- You can get a set of postcards by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with “51 POSTCARDS” in the “Subject’ line. Then all you just have to fill in the legislators’ names and sign your own, add their address and a stamp, and send.
- Or you can print them up yourself, or use postcards you already have, and write your own message. We’ve included a link to a chart of the Democratic legislators who haven’t signed on to one or both of the statehood bills for you to aim them at.
EVENTS THIS WEEKEND
Saturday – 2/13/2021 – ONLINE – “Chocolate Baby Story Time Series” (10:00 am PT)
Celebrate Black History Month with Healing Justice SB. Chocolate Baby Story Time is a virtual series that will take place for three consecutive Saturdays beginning February 13th at 10am PT. Please be sure to learn more about the rest of the episodes and other virtual events Healing Justice SB is putting on during Black History month at hjsb.org. Register here for each session: https://www.hjsb.org/chocolate-baby-story-time
- February 13, 2021 – 10 A.M. Chocolate Baby Story Time 1: Celebrating the Many Shades and
Textures of Black Beauty
- Hair Love by Matthew A. Cherry
- Sulwe by Lupita Nyong’o
- February 20, 2021 – 10 A.M. Chocolate Baby Story Time 2: Unapologetically, Black YOU!
- Hey Black Child by Useni Eugene PerkinsBuk
- All Because You Matter by Tami Charles
- February 27, 2021 – 10 A. M. Chocolate Baby Story Time 3:Self-Love, Acceptance, and Family
- I Am Perfectly Designed by Karamo Brown
- Mixed Me by Taye Diggs
- Julián is a Mermaid by Jessica Love
Saturday – 2/13/2021 – Westlake – “805 Resistance – Boycott Target Westlake in Solidarity Against Racial Profiling (1:00pm – 3:00 pm PT)
805Resistance – Saturday is the day! We know some of you are staying in because of covid and some of you have plans which we totally understand but if you aren’t in those categories please make an effort to show up in solidarity against racist behavior and abuse by police!
#blacklivesmatter #BoycottTargetWestlake #protectblackandbrownchildren
Sunday – 2/14/2021 – ONLINE – “LOVE BLACK HISTORY” (1:30 pm PT)
(Ventura County Democratic Party) We are sharing this event in support one of our clubs and in celebration of Black History Month. Ventura Democratic Club presents: Love Black History – It’s American History
****Special Guest, Shirley Weber.*** Weber is the newly appointed and the first Black California Secretary of State!Special guest, Ted Bagley, Vice President Human Resources Amgen, Thousand Oaks, retired and author, The Success Factor, Demolition of Democracy, Has America Lost Its Soul.Join the event via this Zoom link: http://bit.ly/love-black-history-2021.
Event paid for by the Democratic Club of Ventura, FPPC #1267335.
Sunday – 2/14/2021 – ONLINE – “Healthcare, not Warfare” (1:00 pm PT)
At Progressive Democrats of America (PDA), our advocates for Healthcare as a Human Right, remain gravely concerned that #COVID19 continues to ravage our traditionally medically underserved communities with untold suffering, loss, and preventable deaths as a result. Vaccine, like all of COVID-care and Healthcare in general, is not yet getting to all who need it, especially to those at even greater risk in our communities of color.
Studies recently made public confirm these inequities, including that as many as 40 percent of total COVID-19 fatalities in the U.S. were preventable if we had public health directed by and paid for with a #SinglePayer expanded and improved #MedicareForAll system.
It’s past time we did.
PDA Healthcare Emergency Town Hall
Sunday, February 14
4pm Eastern; 3pm Central; 2pm Mountain; 1pm Pacific; 12pm AK; 11am HI.
If you have not already done so, register here. https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJ0tceuhrzsvHdymeeZRwb-i7X50FJa-HMR4
Featured guest speakers: Healthcare researcher Dr. Carolina Ampudia, M.D. of PDA Broward Co FL, and communications expert and local community leader Dr. Betty Valencia, Ph.D. of PDA Orange Co CA. They’ll discuss the urgent need for and means to organize for MFA from their very knowledgeable perspectives.Other Dates: Feb 21, 2021 04:00 PM
Feb 28, 2021 04:00 PM
WANTED: Postcard writers for Washington DC statehood and the restoration of asylum.
Time to pick up our pens for the resistance again, folks! POSTCARD #1: The disenfranchised conditions of the residents of Washington DC, which remain the same now in the 21st century as it was 200 years ago, is apalling and untenable. We need to ramp up to launch speed and get this horrendous injustice reversed.POSTCARD #2: Who remembers Ken Cuccinelli, Trump’s mean-spirited immigration official, who tried to twist Emma Lazarus’s poem at the foot of the Statue of Liberty to exclude people who were actually tired and poor? We kicked out Trump and all his minions. Now it’s time to take back asylum. And not just take it back, but make it better and more just. Join in with What’s Next’s postcard campaigns for immigration.”https://indivisibleventura.org/2021/02/11/wanted-postcard-writers-for-washington-dc-statehood-and-the-restoration-of-asylum/)
Trump is a clear and present danger to our democracy. Tell your senators that a vote to acquit is unAmerican!
We have scripts for both Democrats and Republican senators. Yes, even though you think you know how Dianne and Alex will vote, they still need to hear from you, every day, that convicting and disqualifying this man is tops on your list of to-do’s.
Help flip the online discussion. These scared-rabbit GOP senators are watching.
Use your social media to spread some truth about Trump and help remove cover from GOP senators. Join up with Demcast (https://twitter.com/DemCastUSA) to get new media links to use on Facebook, DM, Twitter and more (https://twitter.com/DemCastUSA)!
Find people who live in the states listed below and ask them to call their own senators and either use our script or go off-road on their own.
Someone put together this list of GOP senators that might be coaxed into relocating their spinal column. (They can dial direct or use the main switchboard # here: (202) 224-3121)
(Yes, technically, you can call any senator you want but phone calls to legislators who are not your own will not be recorded by the beleaguered staff manning the phones. However, this is a great list for comparing to friends and family in your contacts list.)
Important points for talking to GOP senators:
– Call them out as sniveling cowards. Spell out “sniveling” if necessary.- Tell them that Trump remains a clear and present danger to our country and more people will die if he commands his followers to riot again.- Tell them no one believes Sen. Rand Paul’s pathetic excuse of an argument and they should be ashamed to even pretend to. (“Dammit, Jim! I’m an ophthalmologist, not a constitutional scholar!”)- Tell them that you expect them to stand up against Trump and for those killed and injured on Jan. 6th, their oath of office, and the future of our democracy.- Tell older, pre-retirees like Grassley…”do you really want your legacy to include being part of a historic act of cowardice?” – Rinse and repeat. Every damn day until this trial is over.
1. Mitch McConnell – Kentucky 202-224-2541 2. Lisa Murkowski – Alaska, 202-224-66653. Susan Collins – Maine , 202-224-25234. Mitt Romney – Utah, 202-224-52515. Pat Toomey – Pennsylvania, 202-224-42546. Ben Sasse – Nebraska, 202-224-42247. Rob Portman – Ohio, 202-224-33538. Roy Blunt – Missouri, 202-224-57219. Todd Young -Indiana , 202-224-562310. Shelley Moore Capito – West Virginia, 202-224-647211. Richard Burr – North Carolina, 202-224-315412. Mike Lee – Utah, 202-224-544413. Jerry Moran – Kansas, 202-224-652114. Mike Rounds – South Dakota, 202-224-584215. Bill Cassidy – Louisiana, 202-224-582416. Thom Tillis – North Carolina, 202-224-634217. Chuck Grassley – Iowa, 202-224-374418. Joni Ernst – Iowa, 202-224-325419. Tom Cotton – Arkansas, 202-224-235320. John Thune – South Dakota, 202-224-2321
Say “NO” to lifetime retirement perks for our former grifter-in-chief.
Minimum script: I’m calling from [zip code] and I want Rep./Sen. [___] to support legislation to specifically exempt ex-President Trump from all benefits of the Former Presidents Act, except for standard security expenses for himself and his wife. Instead, I want the funds that would have gone to his pension, travel, staff, and office space to be placed in trust for use in setting up the future 51st state of America created from Washington DC, which he abused shamefully during his term in office.
High Crimes & Misdemeanors
Nice explanation on how a president’s crime is different than anything we can do. The Impeachment & disqualification isn’t about violating criminal statute. It’s about “constitutional” or high crimes. Unleashing a violent mob on a separate but equal branch of government IS ABSOLUTELY A HIGH CRIME. (https://youtu.be/aBkAJYXcpiI)
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.