Today, as Joe Biden celebrates Hispanic Heritage Month in Florida and reaffirms his commitment expanding opportunity and prosperity for the Hispanic community in Florida and across the United States, Donald Trump is still peddling his broken promises and failed leadership. Donald Trump has blocked progress and attacked the Hispanic community throughout his presidency — from working to overturn the Affordable Care Act to overseeing record job loss to pushing a cruel and radical immigration agenda that tears families apart.
TRUMP’S BROKEN PROMISES TO THE HISPANIC COMMUNITY
TRUMP: “To those African Americans and Latinos suffering in our country, I say, very simply, what the hell do you have to lose? Vote for Donald Trump. I am going to fix it.” [Trump Campaign Rally, 10/4/16]
REALITY: Trump’s failed coronavirus response disproportionately hurts Florida’s Latino community.
- Trump’s failure to handle the coronavirus pandemic has been devastating to the Latino community, from skyrocketing unemployment (10.5% in August) to a disproportionately high death and infection rate.
- In Florida, Hispanic residents make up 25% of the population, but 42% of the cases and 28% of the deaths.
REALITY: Latinos experienced the largest gain in health insurance coverage thanks to the Affordable Care Act. Trump is threatening those gains in his push to repeal the ACA.
- Hispanics experienced the largest gain in coverage since the implementation of the Affordable Care Act’s coverage expansions in 2014.
- Latino children’s health insurance coverage rates improved to a historic high of 92.5 percent in the second year after the ACA’s coverage provisions took effect.
REALITY: Trump blocked disaster relief funds for Puerto Rico, abandoning the island when they most needed support.
- Donald Trump said the federal response to Hurricane Maria was “incredibly successful,” despite the devastation to the island and high death toll.
- Donald Trump floated ‘divesting’ or ‘selling’ Puerto Rico as it struggles to recover from Hurricane Maria, according to Elaine Duke, acting secretary of homeland security in 2017.
- The Trump administration is still withholding billions of dollars in aidto Puerto Rico
REALITY: Trump’s cruel immigration policies have torn families apart.
- Trump illegallyrescinded the DACA program and sabotaged every bipartisan immigration deal that would have protected American Dreamers.
- After the Supreme Court blocked Trump’s attempt to end the Obama-era DACA program, the Trump administration announced it will not accept new applications.
- The Trump administration separated more than 1,100 migrant families at the border, withno system to bring them back together.
- Trump recinded Temporary Protected Status for immigrants from El Salvador and Honduras, who could now be in deportation proceedings in early 2021.
- As of January 2020, an unprecedented 20,000 Cuban asylum seekers are in deportation proceedings due to the Trump administration’s efforts to detain and deport immigrants fleeing from dictatorships.
REALITY: Trump has undermined efforts to restore democracy in Venezuela, and refused to grant Temporary Protected Status (TPS) to Venezuelans in the United States.
- Trump said that he would be willing to meet with dictator Nicholas Maduro
- Trump has refused to grant Temporary Protected Status (TPS) to Venezuelans in U.S.
- The Trump administration has ramped up deportations of Venezuelans.
REALITY: Trump’s tax scam left out Latino working families.
- Trump’s tax scam left out Latino Americans, who received only about 7% of the benefits from the law
- By 2027, most Hispanic Americans stand to face a tax increase under Trump’s tax scam, with only 30% of Hispanic Americans earning more than $75,000.
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.