The trial of our corrupt president starts this afternoon, in front of a GOP-dominated Senate full of potential perjurers of their oaths of office.
UPDATE: Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell is waiting for a confirmation vote for a resolution allowing both the House impeachment managers and Trump’s defense team 24 hours apiece to present their arguments. Less than an hour ago, those 24 hours had to be contained within 2 days, with opening statements starting at 1:00 pm and final arguments ending in the middle of the night. These shenanigans show us how seriously the GOP need to cover up Trump’s guilt and to get this trial over before the Feb. 4th State of the Union speech, where a still-impeached Trump will assuredly melt down on national TV. The overall trial time has since been changed to 3 days, which is similar to the Clinton impeachment trial, but not before McConnell was redubbed “Midnight Mitch.”
Action #1: Tell your Senators that the Senate Resolution is unacceptable.
Minimum script for GOP senators: I’m calling from [zip code] and I want Sen. [___] to know that I want [him/her] to
- Support witnesses, depositions, and the public release of testimony. (The resolution does not admit House evidence into the trial record until after the Senate votes on whether or not to call witnesses or admit documents.)
- Realize that we know that it’s actually the President’s duty to protect whistleblowers and if his team intends to call this person, how will [he/she] be protected?
Minimum script for Democratic senators: I’m calling from [zip code] and I want to first thank Sen. [___] for publicly demanding a fair and open impeachment trial. We want a trial with open press coverage, reasonable start and ending times and witness testimony from Bolton, Guiliani, Perry, Perry, Pompeo, Lev Parnas and a representative of the GAO, which has determined that an actual “CRIME” had been committed.
Senator Feinstein: email, DC (202) 224-3841, LA (310) 914-7300, SF (415) 393-0707, SD (619) 231-9712, Fresno (559) 485-7430
and Senator Harris: email, DC (202) 224-3553, LA (213) 894-5000, SAC (916) 448-2787, Fresno (559) 497-5109, SF (415) 355-9041, SD (619) 239-3884
Who is my representative/senator?: https://whoismyrepresentative.com
Action #2: Tell your representatives to start serving suboenas for their own hearings based on bucket-loads of new information.
Minimal script to representatives: I’m calling from [zip code] and I want the House to honor the sacrifices of the witnesses who came before them by questioning all those implicated in the Just Security report and the evidence provided by Lev Parnas. The American public deserves the full story of Trump’s possible crimes, and Congress should use their power of inherent contempt to compel testimony from all parties knowledgable of Trump’s deliberate blocking of Congressional-approved funding for Ukraine, which now has been confirmed as an actual crime by the GAO. The House should also investigate the possible stalking of an American ambassador, an investigation already underway in Ukraine, without any monetary inducement.
Rep. Julia Brownley:email, (CA-26): DC (202) 225-5811, Oxnard (805) 379-1779, T.O. (805) 379-1779
or Rep. Salud Carbajal: email.(CA-24): DC (202) 225-3601, SB (805) 730-1710 SLO (805) 546-8348
Who is my representative/senator?:https://whoismyrepresentative.com
What we want.
We want the huge personal sacrifices of those who came forward and serve their country’s interests to be fairly heard in the Senate, and not passed over with a hand wave.
- Former U.S. Ambassador to Ukraine Marie Yovanovitch was threatened by the president while she was testifying.
- The White House also tweeted a quote questioning the judgment and loyalty Lt. Col. Alexander Vindman, a National Security Council Ukraine specialist and the Army now is working to keep him and his family safe.
- Former White House national security official Fiona Hill testified that she is facing online harassment and doxxing, and is now the target of conspiracy theories, some of which are anti-semitic, involving philanthropist George Soros.
- Ambassador to the European Union Gordon Sondland has stated that his family and his businesses have received and his hotels have been targeted with false or politically motivated online reviews.
We want all the information: The new information could add additional articles to impeachment for solicitation of bribes, violation of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, and the president’s misuse of congressionally appropriated and authorized foreign military assistance for personal or political gain.
We want all the witness! Reps. Adam Schiff and Jerry Nadler, start sending out subpoenas again for everyone feature in the new information! Use the House’s power of inherent contempt to compel the testimony under oath, if necessary, of the following witnesses on the new information before releasing articles to the Senate:
- John Bolton, former national security adviser. “If ever there were a valid basis for Congress to punish contempt by imprisonment, it’s a private citizen’s refusal to give evidence that is crucial to presidential impeachment proceedings.” However, as he recently said he would testify in the Senate, he has no plausible legal argument to prevent him from doing so in the House.
- Robert Blair, Senior Advisor to the Acting WH Chief of Staff
- Michael Duffy, associate director of National Security Programs at OMB
- Mick Mulvaney, acting chief of staff
- Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State
- Rudy Giuliani, president’s personal attorney
- Lev Parnas, to help Rep. Devon Nunez’s memory.
- Elaine McCusker, acting Pentagon comptroller
Originally posted on Indivisible Ventura. Re-posted with permission.
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.