Mark your calendars – SIX (6) actions!
While our ethically-challenged president is mired in a mess of his own making, we are pushing forward. Here are six hands-on, educational or inspirational immigration-related actions that will make our community better. Join in!
Action #1: THIS SUNDAY- 9/29: Volunteer, help spread the word and/or donate to our local free citizenship fair – Swap Meet Justice!
What are we doing? We help our neighbors turn their green cards (permanent residency cards) into citizenship. We also help renew green card and DACA applications and sign up new voters. Come help!
Thinking about being a volunteer? You don’t have to be a lawyer. You don’t need to speak a foreign language, but that extra skill is appreciated. You don’t have to be a citizen and you don’t have to be over 18. Teen volunteers are great! Note: First-time volunteers MUST take a 1-hour training course at 8:30 am.
- More details here!
- Where: Oxnard Community Marketplace – Oxnard College Campus.
- When: We are open from 8am-3pm, last application starting at ±1:00 pm.
Can you print up and pass out or post flyers in your neighborhood?English/Spanish flyers: Download front side here and back side here. Cut sheets in half vertically after printing.All-Spanish flyers: Download front side here and download back side here. Cut sheets in half vertically after printing. More posters (including those with pull-off tabs) and flyer types here.
Action #2: Donate in a powerful way for the needs in our own community. Share this information!
Donate securely at www.cluevc.org. (Please note MAF on your donation form. Or write a check and send to CLUE-VC, POBox 3066, Ventura, CA, 93006)
100% of your donation goes to DIRECT support.
- $50 helps transportation costs to an immigration appoinment in LA (Volunteer drivers needed! Contact us through www.cluevc.org/contact.
- $75 provides supplies for one monthy Swap Meet Justice event that provides application assistance for citizenship, DACA and green card renewals and voter registration. (Be an volunteer! Check out Action #1 above or www.clueve.org/swap-meet-justice.)
- $150 helps provide meals for one month for a small family living in Ventura Country while awaiting their asylum hearing. (Home hosts needed! Are you interested? Leave a message at www.cluevc.org/contact.)
- $250 provides food to share with the refugees at the Border whom our volunteers encounter in one day at the camps in Mexico. To be a part of a Ventura County trip for this humanitarian assistance, email to CasaArteArch@att.net.
- $495 covers the fee of one DACA renewal application. Unlike for citizenship and green card applicants, the government provides no hardship waivers for the amazing and hardworking young people we meet at our Swap Meet Justice events. For those who have all they need, A DACA SCHOLARSHIP IN THEIR NAME WOULD BE A GREAT CHRISTMAS OR BIRTHDAY PRESENT! Contact us here.
- $2,000 trains an Accredited Representative to assist in immigration applications in a community organization. Contact us here.
CLUE-VC is a 501(c)3 nonprofit. Donations are tax deductible to the extent allowed by law. Want to do more than donate? Contact UUCV’s Action Team for Immigrant Right (ATIR) or your congregation’s action group. Check out www.cluevc.org/take-action.
Action #3: Oct. 3rd. – CRLA is helping people get a fresh start. SHARE!
People are dragging anchors around from their pasts that prevent them from getting the schooling and jobs they need to help themselves, their families and society as a whole. CRLA is offering a legal clinic to help free people from this needless oppression of their full potential. Please copy and share this full-size link on your social media.
Action #4: Oct. 5th – CARE not CAGES Art Show and Fundraiser.
- Ensuring that no child appears in immigration court without high quality legal representation;
- Advancing laws, policies, and practices that ensure children’s protection and uphold their right to due process and fundamental fairness; and
- Promoting in countries of origin, transit, and destination durable solutions to child migration that are grounded in the best interests of the child and ensure that no child is forced to involuntarily migrate.
Action #5: Nov. 2nd – Asylum Advocacy Conference.
As the title says, this program NOT just for attorneys. It’s also for students and community activists who want to understand more about asylum issues and learn what positive actions they can take. Share this event’s flyer here.
Action #6: Nov. 3rd – NEVER AGAIN ACTION – SHARE THE FLYER!
This amazing group has been in the news a lot recently. Their mission “is to empower the young people of the world to create meaningful and lasting change through their activism. NeverAgain.com champions several causes, including genocide awareness, civil rights, human rights, and more recently, gun regulation and school safety. We seek to support the causes of those who are working to create positive change for the betterment of our society, our nation, and our world.” Share this flyer here.
Originally posted on the Indivisible Ventura site. Re-posted with permission.
DemCast is an advocacy-based 501(c)4 nonprofit. We have made the decision to build a media site free of outside influence. There are no ads. We do not get paid for clicks. If you appreciate our content, please consider a small monthly donation.