DEMCAST – NOW RECRUITING: STATE CONTENT CAPTAINS
JOIN THE MOVEMENT!
DemCast is a hybrid digital media strategy meant to amplify the voices of grassroots activists who are out there helping to turn America blue. There are many ways to get involved in this innovative digital media co-op.
If you aren’t quite ready to jump into a state leadership position, you can sign up for our volunteer network here.
STATE CONTENT CAPTAIN POSITION DESCRIPTION
After reading the description below, if you are interested in applying for this volunteer position, please complete the form. We will follow up.
Grassroots-produced content plays a critical role in the DemCast model – and our ability to host and amplify it is our primary value proposition for local, state and national grassroots groups. State Content Captains will recruit and support content creators from their assigned states, ensuring that produced content is high in quality, timely and adherent to DemCast’s Editorial Standards.
Depending on the size of the state and the amount of relevant content, there may be multiple co-captains who work together as a team to manage the flow of content within the state, potentially by geography. Content Captains will work closely with Social Media State Captains and State Outreach Coordinators, as part of the DemCast State Leadership Team.
CALL FOR VOLUNTEERS
Given this structure, DemCast is recruiting individuals who want to take on State Captain leadership roles in their home states. Though DemCastUSA.com will not be live until later this fall, we are attempting to identify our Captains early – to orient them to the model and give them time to identify and recruit content producers.
DEMCAST CONTENT CAPTAINS WILL:
- Execute a rolling recruitment plan to find writers, graphic artists, podcasters, video producers and other grassroots media creators who have the skill and capacity to contribute quality content via DemCast.com once the site is up. (Recruitment will entail searching for state-specific content on existing grassroots media platforms and reaching out to creators directly, among other methods.)
- Work with State Outreach Coordinators to leverage recruitment channels developed through established partnerships with grassroots groups across the state.
- Help to vet content creators who show interest in contributing on DemCast.com, using a structured vetting process designed with DemCast leadership.
- Train new content creators and help them onboard to the team.
- Utilize a common communication platform for communicating with contributors (example: Slack, Basecamp, etc.- DemCast platform TBD.)
- Participate in semi-regular web conferences as a member of the State Leadership Team, and with the national team – to coordinate activities and messaging.
- Relay messaging and initiative guidance to your team of contributors.
- Work with DemCast Social Media Captains (who will build a team of state-based and national social media accounts to share developed content) to ensure state-specific media receives maximum amplification.
- Stay apprised and informed of local and state events, stories & individuals of note. Share relevant info with the team and take a lead in suggesting good topics for relevant content.
- Share content daily and maintain a social media presence.
- Designate duties to Co-captains or coordinators as needed
- 1 – 3 flexible hours/day.
BENEFITS OF BEING A DEMCAST CAPTAIN:
- Know that you are making a difference by leading a statewide team for Blue Wave 2020.
- Connect with grassroots and establishment leaders locally and nationally
- Grow in personal political goals by being more informed on local and state issues, and interacting with other influencers, campaigns and politicians across the state.
- Meet new friends with similar political goals and expand your personal/professional network.
- Expand your reach and influence by growing your social media follower base.
- Use skills learned in career or prior volunteer experience to help influence the American political process.
- Receive training and mentorship to help hone your activism and advocacy skills.
- Gain or expand experience in activism that may include interfacing with candidates, campaigns, the party and elected officials
- Build your resume: Experience and results could assist in professional paid positions with DemCast and other grassroots or political organizations
- Strong working knowledge of the political climate and players in the state.
- Strong sense for effective political communication, narrative building & use of media to bolster effectiveness of spreading a message.
- Background curating, producing and/or editing high-quality content – especially political content.
- Strong organizational skills, time management and attention to detail.
- Leadership qualities/skills, including: conflict mediation, team management and provision of motivational support/mentorship.
- Awareness of and connection to activist networks within the state.
- Strong familiarity with at least one social media platform (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram).
- Past leadership roles (volunteer or paid) in local or state political or activist organizations.
- Deep knowledge of local or state activism networks and communication streams.